- Meal Type:
- Prep Time:
- 15 Mins
- Cooking Time:
- 15 Mins
Gather the family round the table for a delicious brunch of Orange & Ricotta hot cakes, delicious served with in-season blueberries. Another option is to omit the orange zest and serve the hot cakes with grilled bacon.
- 1 tsp Wheat & Gluten Free baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Healtheries Ground Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 cup reduced fat Greek yoghurt, plain
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Separate the eggs, (reserving egg whites for later use) and using another bowl lightly whisk the egg yolks with the milk and Greek yoghurt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and fold the liquid ingredients through. Mix in the vanilla, orange zest and ricotta cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate the batter if not cooking at once - can be stored up to 12 hours.
- Just before cooking, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold through the batter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat with 1 tsp of butter or a little oil. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. Cook each side for about 1 minute until golden and the mixture is fully set through the centre.
- Transfer hot cakes to a cooling rack once cooked. Repeat to cook all the mixture, adding a little more butter to the pan between batches.
Serve these hotcakes with fresh fruit and maple syrup for a wonderful gluten-free brunch.
- Karen Dickie
Absolutely wonderful Gluten free Orange Cake. It's super easy to make and easy to eat! Serve warm for Dessert or cold with Tea or Coffee.
Perfect for school lunches and snacks, these bliss balls will go down a treat! As well as being delicious they’re also gluten and dairy free.